Friday, October 24, 2008

Everlasting Love

How long is everlasting? Perhaps that is a trick question. Everlasting means something that will last forever, or for eternity. It will never end.
 
We read in the bible that Jesus loves us with an everlasting love.
 
Jeremiah 31:3 in The Message version --God told them, "I've never quit loving you and never will. 
   Expect love, love, and more love...."
 
The New King James Version says in Jeremiah 31:3 "The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying:

      “ Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; 
      Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you."
 
Here we discover that God has always loved us, and He always will. It is an "everlasting" love. Since we humans are acquainted mostly with things that have a beginning and especially an end, it is a little challenging to us to really comprehend EVERLASTING love, a love that never ends. I am not sure I even can understand it completely.
 
But knowing that God says He loves me with an everlasting love sure makes me feel special. And like He says, it draws me to Him. Only by love can love be awakened.
 
I can't force anybody to love me. And God won't force or compel anyone to love Him. But He just keeps on loving us, and that love (once we experience it) just naturally draws us to Him.
 
Jesus said, "I, if I be lifted up (on the cross at the crucifixion) I will draw all men onto me." Why? Because that is such a compelling and vivid demonstration of His love for us.
 
God is the source of love. All true love comes from God. And he is loving us with EVERLASTING love. Maybe by experiencing this divine love from God, we humans can even learn to love each other!!
 
(if you have any thoughts on the Love of God, please share them with me....)
 
 

Sincerely,

David A. Youngs

No comments: