Friday, July 6, 2007

Camp meeting can affect your health


Thanks to Johnny Bond for the unique background in the photo at the right. Johnny resides in northern California and is a genius at photo shop.
Camp meeting is coming!! Every year, all Seventh-day Adventist churches in northern California get together for an old fashioned camp meeting. As many as 3000 or more people will probably come this year. We have our own camp grounds here in northern California on the south fork of the Eel River.
For ten days or so, the campgrounds ring with the sounds of people singing and laughing. People come in tents, trailers, motor homes, or whatever and camp out. Some camp out the whole time, while others come for just the week ends or perhaps a few days.
Not only do we all camp out, we have hundreds of meetings. It is sort of like having church all day long!! There are meetings on physical health. Some of them actually are accredited and are continuing education for health professionals. There are special classes just for the primaries, and juniors, and early teens, and kindergarten. There is a tent for collegiate age people. There are religious meetings. There are in depth bible studies. There is something for everyone. Even the Spanish speaking people have their own pavilion.
And there are two tents for adults. One has more modern music, and the other is more conservative. I have attended both of them, and each has its own benefits. I like the music at the more progressive tent, but I enjoy being in the band at the more conservative tent.
It is a great time of spiritual renewal. And for meeting friends. Some of my friends I went to college with have gone on and become very important people. One is a super attorney. Many are now doctors and pastors.
My brother-in-law and sister come all the way from Modesto. We have a great time camping and going to meetings. And there is the cafeteria with incredible food, as well as a vegetarian hot dog and burger stand. Being there is a bit like heaven on earth.
I don't think I will be able to attend full time this year. First of all, my motor home is not currently insured or licensed so it probably won't go. And besides, I need to stay here and take care of my senior citizen lady who is 91. But I am going down on the weekends. There is a store that is set up down there where they sell all kinds of religious books. I want to go and see what is on sale this year. And buy several cases of veggie food. Yeah.
Well, I hope you all can enjoy camping too.
David

No comments: