Saturday, April 21, 2007

Cutting off cancer at the neck!!

Image enhancement (clouds in background) by John Bond of Far Northern California. Thanks John.

My brother-in-law Mike came through the seven hour neck surgery just fine. The day before his neck surgery, I asked him how he felt. His response was, "I feel like I have a noose around my neck--and it is getting tighter every day."

His thyroid glands were enlarged, one much more than the other. The super one was baseball sized. Imagine having a baseball sized tumor in your neck-- no wonder it felt like a noose! Both glands were removed, as well as the lymph nodes on once side.

The surgery was all day Thursday, and Mike actually walked two blocks outside today. (Sabbath) He is feeling kind of tired, but after a major surgery like that, I am not surprised.

The most surprising thing to me is that they did not use external stitches to hold the neck together after surgery. I am assuming the surgeon used internal ones. But all that was used externally were some little metal staples. But before they sent Mike home Friday, the little staples were all removed(!) and replaced with Steri-strips. Just little tiny pieces of tape holding his neck together!! I suppose it heals much better that way and doesn't leave an ugly scar like the running baseball stitch the surgeon used on my right knee over 20 years ago.

I am so glad that Mike is still alive. Now we have to wait for the laboratory reports to see which type of cancer he had. And Mike still has those spots on his lungs that showed up during the CAT scan. I am hoping these will go away with a little radioactive iodine treatment.

Don't get cancer...

David A. Youngs
http://polybids.com/

No comments: