Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Worried about worrying

Worrying never really helped anything. Oh sure, I read the cartoon where Charlie Brown was asserting "what do you mean that worrying never helps? Most of the stuff I worry about NEVER HAPPENS!"--implying of course that perhaps if he did NOT worry, it just might have happened.

There are so many things a person can worry about. If you want to worry, you can just pick nearly anything and then start worrying about it. Make up something if you have to -- like, "suppose my clothes fall apart while I am walking down the street?" Or how about, "what if a meteor falls from the sky and crushes me!" Your worries don't have to be about things that are likely to happen. You can worry about all kinds of things. "Suppose I trip over a crack in the sidewalk and break my leg in three places, and then I can't go to work, and I can't pay the rent, and next thing I know, I am homeless, living on the very sidewalk where I first tripped."

Most people worry about money--either they don't have enough, or if they do have enough, then they are worried they might lose it, or somebody might want to take it from them. The more possessions we have, the more we can worry about somebody stealing them from us. It doesn't take much to get some people worrying. "Oh, you are going on a trip! I sure hope you don't run out of gas, have a flat tire, the car engine blow up, and you get lost and are never heard from again."

If you point out to these worry warts that you think they are worrying far too much about too little, they will then start worrying about you! Are you crazy? Can't you see that not worrying is dangerous?

Or they might start to worry about worrying. "Maybe I do worry too much. I am now worried about that!"

There is no way to prepare in advance for every possible outcome, no matter that the motto of the Boy Scouts is "always be prepared." But I am of the opinion that worrying is a CHOICE. And I don't choose to worry any more. Plan ahead, yes. Consider alternate contingencies, sure. But no more worrying. It isn't worth it!

So stop worrying and enjoy life. Live in the "Now."
David A. Youngs

No comments: