Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Remembering my memory


I used to have a memory. Oh I still do, but some times I can't remember what I did with it. :-) Actually, I have been blessed with a very good memory. I remember the names of thousands of people. Sometimes I even remember their names when I see them and need to remember their name! But sometimes I know I know their name, but cannot seem to recall it. Maybe I need a memory upgrade. Science is working on memory related medications. Maybe some day I can just take a pill and remember everything! Wouldn't that be great?


I take care of an elderly person. Okay, she is OLD--91 years old. And she can remember only things that happened a while ago. Her short term memory is basically gone. She can eat a meal, and then half an hour later, not be sure whether she ate or not. She has a creative memory. She can make up something in her mind, and then "remember" as if it did happen. This blurring of reality can cause some real problems. She will accuse me of doing something she simply made up, and I have a difficult time convincing her it never happened, because she "remembers" it clearly--even though it never happened.


It is kind of eerie seeing this lady actually living what the film Total Recall suggested--implanted memories. Wouldn't it be great to actually be able to get memories implanted? Or maybe not--my reality is tenous enough as it is. I don't think I want to be able to clearly remember things that never really happened.
But I am not sure that I want total recall either--there are some things I would prefer not to remember. Maybe God knew what he was doing when he made faulty memories.
Happy memories,
David A. Youngs


No comments: