Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Coffee feels so good -- but is so bad!!

I love a good cup of coffee. Of course my idea of a good cup of coffee is about 1/4 cup of cream and 2 heaping teaspoons full of sugar. I still remember the one time I was driving home from someplace far away. I found this mom and pop restaurant that advertised "all the coffee refills you want." So naturally I took advantage of that. I remember drinking 12 or 13 cups of coffee. I had to go to the bathroom twice before I left the restaurant. By the time I got back in the car I was "wired". I don't think I have ever been so high. My hands were actually shaking from all the caffeine coursing through my veins. Of course all that sugar in my blood was giving me a sugar high as well.

Doctors tell us that what caffeine does is to cause the adrenal glands to release more adrenaline. Yes, adrenaline rushes feel so good. Some people get addicted to adrenaline rushes and become danger junkies. They will engage in extreme sports like jumping off the top of a building and waiting almost to ground level to open their parachute. Or they will bungee jump, or hang glide, or engage in other over-the-edge activities, and extreme sports. One of my friends used to be a criminal because of the rush he got breaking into people's homes and knowing he could get caught at any moment, but trying not to get caught. Fortunately he doesn't do that any more.

But too much adrenaline in the body is not good. The body cannot relax if it is full of adrenaline. And although it might feel good while the rush is on, after the rush comes the let down, and depression, and lethargy, and a feeling of just being super tired. The body is trying to recover, to get some relaxation and rest. And the adrenaline is preventing that from happening.

Over time, coffee stops having its super boost. The body is totally out of adrenaline. What it needs is a great nights sleep. Oh, by the way, coffee interferes with sleep. But only for awhile. After awhile the body cannot be awake any longer no matter what you do.

I was once a security guard. My supervisor was trying to go 24 hours a day, every day. He was popping no-doze like they were candy. But after visiting me for a few minutes he stepped out to his car where he promptly fell asleep with the engine running, but before he had a chance to drive off. He left his very valuable walkie talkie on the counter. When I brought it out to the car, there he was, fast asleep and snoring lightly. I could tell he needed his rest, so I let him sleep for about 30 minutes (see my previous blog) and then woke him up. I informed him that I had found him sleeping and had not turned him in to the company. Then I told him that if he ever found me asleep on the job, I expected the same courtesy in return.

Take a look at children. They are not all hopped up on coffee, yet they can run rings around any adult. They are just brimming with energy and enthusiasm. And then, having exhaused all their energy, they fall over and fall asleep.

We can learn from children. Don't drink coffee. If you are experiencing low energy -- take a short nap.

David Youngs

No comments: